Junior Board of CHNK
Established in 1935 as a volunteer fundraising group at Children’s Home of Northern Kentucky, the Junior Board has one goal: to provide hope and opportunity.
The individuals who comprise today’s Junior Board look a bit different from the original board in 1935. Today’s members are no longer the wives of the (then) male-dominated Board of Trustees. They are now business professionals, entrepreneurs, activists, parents, and philanthropists making time in their busy 21st century schedules to put the needs of at-risk youth on their priority list. They do this in multiple ways:
CHNK’s annual Charity Ball is one of the longest running fundraising events in the Greater Cincinnati/ Northern Kentucky area. First held as a garden party in 1935, the event has evolved into a black-tie gala of movers and shakers from across the region who come together to be social for a cause. All members of the Junior Board play an active role in Charity Ball preparations, including sponsorships, ticket sales, auction item procurement, and decor planning.
When CHNK participates in community events, Junior Board members assist our Development Office in bridge building with the wider community. Whether it’s a Memorial Day Parade, an agency recognition event at a Reds game, or a local music festival, these volunteers (and often, their families!) show up to help raise awareness for CHNK and the youth in its care.
Interested in joining?
- The board meets monthly, typically at 6:00 p.m. on the second Tuesday of the month
- Meetings are currently held virtually to best adhere to social distancing best practices, but we hope to eventually resume meeting in person on CHNK’s Devou Park campus in Covington, KY
- Members make a minimum, annual $50.00 tax-deductible donation to CHNK
- Members agree to actively raise funds in support of the annual Charity Ball
- Despite the name – which, in the 1930s made sense since it was a “junior” board to the higher-ranking Board of Trustees – there are no age (or gender) requirements for membership
Become a part of the Junior Board legacy! For more information on joining, contact the CHNK Office for Development at 859.261.8768 or email [email protected].